Are you off the gas grid and reliant on oil or LPG to heat your home, office or community building?
Rural Action Derbyshire runs a community oil buying scheme, ordering oil every 2 weeks to help ensure rural properties can buy oil at a competitive price, every time.
TO REGISTER ON THE OIL BUYING WEBSITE, CLICK HERE.
TO LOG IN TO YOUR OIL ACCOUNT TO ORDER OIL OR UPDATE YOUR DETAILS, CLICK HERE.
LPG? You can also buy LPG cylinders and bulk through us. For more information CLICK HERE.
in November 2011, Rural Action Derbyshire launched a countywide bulk oil buying scheme for users of domestic heating oil (kerosene). The scheme aims to help people living off the gas grid save money on the cost of their heating bills by making the most of joint buying power to shave pennies off the price per litre.
We believe that finding a way to keep fuel costs as low as possible is particularly important in rural areas, where many households don’t have mains gas. Research commissioned by our national RCC network has shown that 35% of the households in Derbyshire don't have mains gas and that more than half of the people living in fuel poverty in the county live in rural areas.
We buy oil every two weeks, except during the quieter summer months of July and August when we order oil once a month. We order between 40,000 and 110,000 litres of fuel each month, depending on the season. Members get the same price per litre whether they order 500 or 2000 litres. The amount we can save you will depend on market forces and supply and demand, but we can assure you that we can, by buying in bulk, secure you an excellent price, A full list of prices secured since the scheme began is available from our office. We DO NOT charge a membership fee, but we do add a small levy onto the oil order each month as a service charge for administering the scheme. We are a charity and we do not make a profit from this scheme, but we do need to cover the costs of running it.
The more members we have, the more buying power we have to negotiate a better price. If you have any queries, please don't hesitate to contact us for more information. Tell your friends, neighbours and the wider community so that everyone can benefit. If you are currently a member of a local bulk oil buying scheme, speak to your coordinator about the prices they have been able to achieve and then compare with ours.
How does it work?
- To join the scheme just register on the website here. You will need to put in your name, address, phone and email contacts as well as information on the location of your property and oil tank. (Please note there is NO joining/membership fee).
- When you want to place an order, log in to your account here and click on the Order Heating Oil tile. You will need to make sure you are signed up to direct debit or have a debit or credit card (a 2% charge for credit charge) is registered on the site before you will be able to place an order.
- Leave us to negotiate with the suppliers and agree the best price on your behalf. You will be notified by email at about 5pm on the of the ordering deadline day and payment will be made using your registered debit (or credit) card 24 hours later.
- Once payment has been made you will be told which oil supplier has won the contract for that month.Your oil will be delivered within ten working days of the order being placed with a supplier. So please be prepared, plan ahead and don't run out!
The way the oil buying scheme ran changed in October 2015. If you were using the old scheme and would like to know about the changes, please CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION.
For more information please contact us on 0845 313 8800 / 01629 592970 or email email@example.com
Download more information
- Frequently Asked Questions (pdf, 536.4 KB)
- Oil Prices (pdf, 184.7 KB)
- Oil Buying Scheme Leaflet (pdf, 1.3 MB)
Other projects on a similar theme:
Helping local communities to set out their vision for the future and bring about change.
Access to financial services and products and being able to deal with money.
RAD ready to help communities tap into Neighbourhood Planning
RAD has a proud record of providing specialist support, information and advice to village and community halls for over 9...
Practical transport solutions to help local people access work and training opportunities.
A community bulk-buying scheme for domestic heating oil, kerosene aga or clean burn additive