What are Neighbourhood Development Plans?
Neighbourhood Development Plans are a tool for communities, but to be really effective they will need the support of both the community and the local planning authority.
The Plan is a framework, produced by the community, for guiding the future development and growth of an area. Neighbourhood Plans relate to the use and development of land and associated social, economic and environmental issues. A Plan will be subject to examination and referendum and then form part of the Local Development Plan (produced by a local authority).
Are you considering a Neighbourhood Development Plan?
Neighbourhood Development Plans are formal documents and must pass some formal tests including a referendum, which can be tricky, so they need to be produced by the community, through research, consultation and engagement.
There are a number of consultants offering support with Neighbourhood Plans, many of them are experts in planning, but lack some of the other skills that are vital to a successful outcome. RAD has the expertise to advise on the technical aspects of a plan, but it is also community focussed, with insight into the issues facing communities and with a grounded understanding of how communities in Derbyshire work. From Village Design Statements through to Parish Plans and other forms of Community Led Planning, RAD has been the foremost specialist in offering support and guidance to volunteers and Parish Councils.
Neighbourhood Plans must be fit for purpose; i.e. they must be a clear and useful guide to planners and developers. Developments often divide people. That's why community engagement and a proper discussion are so important, along with professional planning advice.
Why choose RAD?
- RAD's Neighbourhood Planning Consultants have experience supporting 9 Neighbourhood Plans and over 30 Community Led Plans in Derbyhsire; a wealth of experience.
- RAD's focus is on the community, and on building confidence and expertise within the voluntary groups that actually do the work. Unlike some other NDP consultants, RAD recognises the importance of community engagement, not just the technical procedures required. RAD consultants will help guide the team of community volunteers on how best to work together to formulate a plan of action with realistic and achievable goals.
- The RAD consultants have an up to date understanding of the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) guidance as it has emerged. This helps RAD to advise on the judgements that NDP groups have to make - such as "when do we have enough evidence for the evidence base?" and "how do we make sense of these responses?"
How can RAD help?
RAD can either have a Service Level Agreement with a community to work on an on-going basis (based on an average of one day a month throughout the process), or it can undertake specific one-off activities, such as those services listed below.
- Setting up the initial public meetings and workshops, recruit a representative and a properly constituted steering group.
- Offering support to design the research and consultation needed to produce the plan.
- Identifying and contacting all the other sources of help and support available to you.
- Supporting the work of the Steering group over a number of months, or as long as is necessary.
For more information on RAD's services and fees, please click on the "Services and Costs" link below.
Contact us: Joe Dugdale, 07743 850127 or 01629 592974 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact your local council
You can contact your district or borough council about Neighbourhood Plans. Click on the Local Authority Contacts document below for email and telephone numbers:
- Bulletin #1 2016 (pdf, 618.9 KB)
- Neighbourhood Planning Services (pdf, 648.2 KB)
- Local Authority Planning Contacts
- Services and Costs
- Why choose RAD?
Other projects on a similar theme:
Helping local communities to set out their vision for the future and bring about change.
Access to financial services and products and being able to deal with money.
RAD ready to help communities tap into Neighbourhood Planning
Contributiing to national debates and policy formation.
RAD has a proud record of providing specialist support, information and advice to village and community halls for over 9...
A community bulk-buying scheme for domestic heating oil, kerosene aga or clean burn additive
Practical transport solutions to help local people access work and training opportunities.