Are you worried about your household finances?

You are not alone. The 'Cost of Living Crisis' is affecting many households across Derbyshire. Getting good advice and support now will help to reduce the risk of things becoming unmanageable. If you are already at crisis point, the following agencies are there to help. 

There are a number of local and national advice and support services available to help you.

Click on the following links for further information. 

Support in Chesterfield

Derbyshire Citizen's Advice

For advice and support with 

  • Benefits
  • Employment
  • Debt and money
  • Housing
  • Energy
  • Relationships and family
  • Discrimination

Citizens Advice Chesterfield  

Chesterfield Borough - 0808 278 7843

Citizens Advice Derbyshire Districts 

Amber Valley, Derbyshire Dales, Erewash & High Peak Districts – 0808 2787 954

Citizens Advice Mid-Mercia 

Derby City & South Derbyshire – 0808 278 7972

Citizens Advice North East Derbyshire 

North East Derbyshire & Bolsover Districts – 0808 250 570

Derbyshire County Council Welfare Benefits Team

For help, advice and representation that you may need, including:

  • dealing with welfare benefits and tax credits (aka social security)
  • advice over the phone about which benefits to claim and how to claim them
  • sending out claim forms and advising on how to challenge decisions by the benefits authorities
  • if you don't agree with a decision made about your benefit claim, including preparing appeals and representation at tribunal hearings

email: [email protected]

Telephone: 01629 531535 

Government support is changing as we move into the post-Covid period, and Derbyshire Welfare Rights has created a very informative webpage with up-to-date information about benefits, job centres, housing, allowances etc. Please follow this link for more information

Derbyshire Discretionary Fund

The Derbyshire Discretionary Fund (DDF) can provide grants or emergency cash payments if you are in urgent need of financial help.

Telephone: 01629 533399

Release Financial Charity (Budget Buddies)

Free and Confidential Debt Advice and Money Guidance. ‘Budget Buddies’ is free, one-to-one mentoring/coaching provision that assists people in dealing with money management, money concerns, budgeting, rent concerns, bill concerns, eviction concerns and bailiff concerns.

Telephone: 01773 306289

Email: [email protected]

Derbyshire Unemployed Workers Centre

The DUWC aim to prevent or relieve poverty amongst the unemployed, underemployed, unwaged and those in receipt of or entitled to benefits and credits as well as other disadvantaged people in Derbyshire. The DUWC offer:

  • Free, independent and confidential advice on benefit and credit entitlements
  • Benefit checks
  • Help to fill in claim forms
  • Support and representation for challenging decisions made by the DWP, right through to tribunal if necessary
  • Help with Personal Independence Claims and advice, Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit and Carers Allowance
  • Assistance with queries regarding Pension Credit and Attendance Allowance.

HELPLINE (8AM - 4PM): 01246 231441

Email: [email protected]

Derbyshire Law Centre

Offers advice and support on

They are not able to offer advice on benefits or business debts.

Main Phone : 01246 550 674   Freephone : 0800 707 6990

Mon - Fri: 9.30am - 4.30pm 

Derbyshire Credit Unions

Credit Unions are co-operative organisations offering low cost loans, basic banking & savings including online bankingThe Credit Union’s ethos is one of responsible lending to encourage 'wise money management' and the development of regular saving patterns. There are three Credit Unions to choose from in Derbyshire.

Chesterfield and NE Derbyshire Credit Union

Telephone: 01246 278 833

Email: [email protected]

Derbyshire Community Bank

Telephone: 01332 348144 

Email: [email protected]   

Transave Credit Union

Telephone 0330 175 5555

E-mail:  [email protected]

Fee-free Basic Bank Accounts

The Money Advice Service suggests that a 'fee-free basic bank account may be worth considering if you don’t have a bank account or can’t use or open a standard current account. You can use a fee-free basic bank account to receive money and pay bills, but it doesn’t allow you to use an overdraft'.

Help with Loan Sharks – Illegal Money Lending

If you can answer yes to one or more of these questions you might be borrowing from a loan shark:

  • Did they offer you a cash loan?
  • Did they not give you paperwork?
  • Did they add huge amounts of interest or APR to your loan?
  • Have they threatened you?
  • Are you scared of people finding out?
  • Have they taken your bank card, benefit card, passport, watch or other valuables from you?

You are not in trouble if you have borrowed cash or have been paying back a loan from an illegal money lender, the loan shark is at fault. They are the people committing a crime, not you.  For advice and support, please follow this link or call 0300 555 2222.

Building Better Opportunities

Building Better Opportunities (BBO) is a support programme for unemployed or economically inactive people aged 16 years and over, or 15 years if Not in Education, Employment or Training (NEET). The programme is designed to promote social inclusion and remove barriers to employment. The Money Sorted strand provides support and personally tailored interventions for people experiencing the greatest financial difficulty. It will enable individuals to take control, build their confidence and skills and help them tackle barriers and problems in order to improve their financial well-being. For more information:

Tel: 0115 908 1534 Email: [email protected]  

Age UK Derby and Derbyshire

Age UK Derby and Derbyshire offer a free, confidential and independent information and advice service to older people and their relatives, friends and carers.

Telephone: 01773 768 240 (confidential answer-machine in busy periods/out of hours)
Fax: 01773 766 924

Email: [email protected]

Jobcentre Plus

For connection to any Derbyshire Job Centre, please telephone: 0800 169 0190

For information about DWP services, please click on this link:  

DWP Services


For a full list of Derbyshire Foodbanks, please visit

Or call 01629 592970

Energy/Utility Bills

For more information about managing the rising cost of energy bills, please visit our energy information page. The following projects and agencies may also be able to support you.

Fuel for Food

Marches Energy Agency has received funding from Derbyshire County Council Public Health in order to support households who are using a Derbyshire foodbank and who are facing an immediate energy crisis. In order to be eligible for this support, clients will need to be registered with a Derbyshire Foodbank.

For more information about this programme and how to refer one of your foodbank clients, please follow this link.

Warmer Derby and Derbyshire

The Warmer Derby & Derbyshire service is a partnership between the Marches Energy Agency charity and the Local Authority Energy Partnership (LAEP) – which includes all Derbyshire councils.

You can call for advice about energy bills; switching tariff; how to make your homes more energy efficient, and how to apply for grants for heating systems and insulation.

Ring 0800 677 1332 (Free Call)

Derbyshire County Council

Cold weather is especially dangerous for older people or people with serious illnesses. If you are concerned about anyone please Call Derbyshire, Tel: 01629 533190

Healthy Homes Support: The Healthy Home project offers people with a long-term health condition help with cold homes. The project helps improve home insulation and heating in order to keep your home warm and you healthy. Tel: 01629 536919.

For information about energy grants, please follow this link:


If you are struggling to pay your bills, please follow this link for general advice: 

For free, impartial advice about how to switch energy providers if you are in debt follow this link:


For advice on energy costs and money problems.

Severn Trent Trust Fund

The Severn Trent Trust Fund is a charity that provides financial help for customers who are unable to pay

their water charges. They can provide help with:

  • water and sewerage charges if you are in hardship and unable to pay
  • charges which are collected by other companies on behalf of Severn Trent
  • other essential bills, household needs or priority debts.  


National Agencies

Money Advice Service

Free and impartial money advice, set up by government. The service provides:

  • Advice and guides to help improve your finances
  • Tools and calculators to help keep track and plan ahead
  • Support over the phone and online

Tel: 0800 138 7777

National Debtline

National Debtline is a highly regarded organisation, which helps people with free advice to get out of debt. They cover a wide variety of debt scenarios, which they can help you with. They provide a wide range of fact sheets on topics including bankruptcy, energy debts, mortgage arrears and more.

You can browse their extensive fact sheet library.

Telephone 0808 808 4000.

StepChange Debt Charity

This charity has over 25 years’ experience of helping people to deal with debts and get the support they need. You can get advice online or over the phone, and they will recommend a range of practical debt solutions based on your situation.  They have also produced a number of useful guides, designed to help people through Covid-19 related issues.

Tel: 0800 138 1111

Mental Health and Money Advice

Mental Health & Money Advice is the first UK-wide service to combine support for both mental health and financial problems. They are here for anyone with a mental illness who is struggling with their money, as well as anyone whose financial problems are affecting their mental health.


Shelter provide a wide range of information on housing and homelessness.

Browse advice by topic

Helpline: 0808 800 4444   

Your mental health

Worries about money, debt and housing can put a serious strain on your mental wellbeing. If you are over 18 years of age and need someone to talk to, please contact one of these free Derbyshire NHS self-referral agencies.

Talking Mental Health Derbyshire  Tel: 0300 123 0542

Everyturn Healthcare  Tel: 0300 555 5582

Vitaminds  Tel: 0333 0153 496

Trent PTS  01332 265 659

Samaritans  116 123

P3 Mental Health Triage

This service offers a free 24/7 helpline for people in Derbyshire and Derby City who require advice about mental health.

Based within the Derbyshire Mental Health Triage Hub, trained P3 support staff are on hand to answer calls from members of the public.

We tailor our response to each caller's situation. This may include:

 Listening, advice and guidance

  • Practical support ideas
  • De-escalation of crisis
  • Encouragement to explore self-help options
  • Community-based resources which may be able to help
  • Onward referrals and a follow-up call if required

Our first response will be to try to avoid the need for a clinical intervention where possible; however, we are working alongside NHS clinical staff who can give advice or take ownership of calls where this is needed. 

 Who we support:

Support is available to people of any age living in Derbyshire/Derby City and experiencing mental health difficulties or concerns.

The number to reach this service is 

(Freephone) 0800 028 0077

If you, or someone you know, is having a mental health crisis

Please see the advice below given by Derbyshire County Council:

If you or someone you know is feeling suicidal there are people you can talk to:

  • Speak to a friend, family member or someone you trust
  • Call the Derbyshire Mental Health Support Line on 0800 028 0077 (7 days a week, 9am to midnight).
  • Call the free Samaritans 24-hour support service on telephone 116 123 or contact Samaritans online
  • Use the Staying Safe website for support, information and making your own safety plan
  • Contact NHS 111, though be aware of delays in accessing this service
  • Make an urgent appointment to see your GP, who may be operating a call back service
  • Ring 999
  • If you require urgent medical intervention go to your nearest emergency department, though be aware that there are increased demands on and transmission risks in emergency departments at this time.