Support Services in Chesterfield, North East Derbyshire and Bolsover Districts

Download as PDF

Covid Community Info Leaflet

Quick Links

Local Support Services


National Support Agencies

Worried about bills?


Domestic Abuse Services

Mental Health Services

Chesterfield Citizen’s Advice

Advice Helpline Call: 0300 456 8437

GP Surgery Outreaches: Contact your GP surgery to book a telephone appointment.

Citizen’s Advice North East Derbyshire

Helpline Call: 0300 456 8437 (same as for Chesterfield) GP Surgery Outreaches: Contact your GP surgery to book a telephone appointment

CAB National Website

Chesterfield Borough Council Benefits Advice

Call 01246 345 345

Homelessness prevention - Call 078702 77291 during office hours and 01629 533 190 for out of hours enquires

North East Derbyshire District Council Benefits Advice

Call: 01246 231111


Email: [email protected]

Text: 07800 00 24 25

Bolsover District Council Benefits Advice

Call: 01246 242436 or email: [email protected]

Derbyshire County Council Welfare Benefits Team

 Can help with advice and can take on any representation that you may need, including:

  • dealing with welfare benefits and tax credits, sometimes referred to as social security
  • advice over the phone about which benefits to claim and how to claim them
  • sending out claim forms and advising on how to challenge decisions by the benefits authorities
  • helping you if you don't agree with a decision made about your benefit claim, including preparing appeals and representing you at tribunal hearings.

 email: [email protected]

Telephone: 01629 531535  11am to 4pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday

Welfare Rights website

Government support is changing as we move into the post-Covid period, and Derbyshire Welfare Rights has created a very informative webpage with up-to-date information about benefits, job centres, housing, allowances etc. Please follow this link for more information.

Derbyshire Discretionary Fund

The Derbyshire Discretionary Fund (DDF) can provide grants or emergency cash payments if you are in urgent need of financial help following a crisis or disaster.

Telephone: 01629 533399

Derbyshire Unemployed Workers Centre

A busy advice service covering North and East Derbyshire. We have 8 staff and over 20 volunteers and students providing Welfare Rights Advice Services.

We offer a mixture of open door drop-in and telephone advice. We provide free and independent welfare rights advice and representation, as well as campaigning for the rights of those who are unemployed, on a low income or sick, injured or disabled by their work.

Telephone Helpline: 01246 231441

Shirebrook Office: Call 01623 748161

Monday to Thursday: 9am to 5pm

Friday: 9am to 4pm

DUWC Website

Derbyshire Law Centre

Offers advice and support on

They are not able to offer advice on benefits or business debts.

 Not currently open for face-to-face consultations.

Main Phone : 01246 550 674  Mon - Fri : 9.30am - 4.30pm

Chesterfield and North East Derbyshire Credit Union

Call 01246 278 833 or email [email protected]

A co-operative ‘Credit Union’ offering low cost loans, basic banking & savings including online banking

Rykneld Homes - Financial Inclusion

Call 01246 217309 or Contact Centre on 01246 217670

Email [email protected]

CAP Debt Counselling

Christians Against Poverty Debt Counselling and Money Management Courses

Service Helpline Call 0800 328 0006

Money Sorted Personal Navigators

Money Sorted in D2N2 provides support and personally tailored interventions for people experiencing the greatest financial difficulty.  It will enable individuals to take control, build their confidence and skills and help them tackle barriers and problems in order to improve their financial well-being.  For more information, contact:

Derbyshire Law Centre: Call 01246 550674 / 0800 707 6990 Text: 07781 482 826 Email: [email protected]

JobCentre Plus

For information on contact numbers for new and existing benefit claims.

Jobcentre Plus: Call 0800 055 6688 Textphone: 0800 023 4888 Universal Credit helpline: 0800 328 5644 Textphone: 0800 328 1344

Age UK Derby and Derbyshire

Age UK Derby and Derbyshire offers a free, confidential and independent information and advice service to older people and their relatives, friends and carers.

Telephone: 01773 768 240 (confidential answer-machine in busy periods/out of hours)
Fax: 01773 766 924

Email: [email protected]

Help with Loan Sharks – Illegal Money Lending

If you can answer yes to one or more of these questions you might be borrowing from a loan shark:

  • Did they offer you a cash loan?
  • Did they not give you paperwork?
  • Did they add huge amounts of interest or APR to your loan?
  • Have they threatened you?
  • Are you scared of people finding out?
  • Have they taken your bank card, benefit card, passport, watch or other valuables from you?

You are not in trouble if you have borrowed cash or have been paying back a loan from an illegal money lender, the loan shark is. They are the people committing a crime, not you.  For advice and support, please follow this link or call 0300 555 2222.

Education and skills

DCC Libraries

Call 01629 533444 or email:
[email protected] to book use of a library computer or for digital skills support (over phone) or if you have an enquiry

Derbyshire National Careers Service

For those aged 19yrs+ or age 18 if not in education or employment

Chesterfield area: 07717 303855 [email protected]

NED & Bolsover: 07767 670797 [email protected]


To find your local food bank, please follow this link.

Worried about Energy and Utility Costs

Warmer Derby and Derbyshire

The Warmer Derby & Derbyshire service is a partnership between the Marches Energy Agency charity and the Local Authority Energy Partnership (LAEP) – which includes all Derbyshire councils.

You can call for advice about energy bills; switching tariff; how to make your homes more energy efficient, and how to apply for grants for heating systems and insulation.

Ring 0800 677 1332 (Free Call)

Derbyshire County Council

For information about energy grants, please visit the Derbyshire County Council website


If you are struggling to pay your bills during the Covid-19 outbreak, please follow this link for general advice.

For free, impartial advice about how to switch energy providers if you are in debt follow this link

Citizen’s Advice

For information about switching to a better energy deal.


For advice on energy costs and money problems.

Severn Trent Trust Fund

The Severn Trent Trust Fund is a charity that provides financial help for customers who are unable to pay

their water charges. They can provide help with:

  • water and sewerage charges if you are in hardship and unable to pay
  • charges which are collected by other companies on behalf of Severn Trent
  • other essential bills, household needs or priority debts

National Agencies

Money Advice Service

Free and impartial money advice, set up by government. The service provides:

  • Advice and guides to help improve your finances
  • Tools and calculators to help keep track and plan ahead
  • Support over the phone and online

National Debtline

National Debtline is a highly regarded organisation, which helps people with free advice to get out of debt. They cover a wide variety of debt scenarios, which they can help you with. They provide a wide range of fact sheets on topics including bankruptcy, energy debts, mortgage arrears and more.

You can browse their extensive fact sheet library.

Telephone 0808 808 4000.

StepChange Debt Charity

This charity has over 25 years’ experience of helping people to deal with debts and get the support they need. You can get advice online or over the phone, and they will recommend a range of practical debt solutions based on your situation.  They have also produced a number of useful guides, designed to help people through Covid-19 related issues.


Shelter provide a wide range of information on housing and homelessness.

Browse advice by topic

Domestic Abuse

Call: 08000 198 668 If it's an emergency, call 999
Text: Derbyshire Domestic abuse Support Line 07534 617252
Email [email protected]

Your mental health

Worries about money, debt and housing can put a serious strain on your mental wellbeing. If you are over 18 years of age and need someone to talk to, please contact one of these free Derbyshire NHS self-referral agencies.

Derbyshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Mental health support line Freephone 0800 028 0077 24hrs / 7days

Derbyshire Mental Health Triage

This service offers a free 24/7 helpline for people in Derbyshire and Derby City who require advice about mental health.

Based within the Derbyshire Mental Health Triage Hub, trained support staff are on hand to answer calls from members of the public.

Derbyshire Recovery and Peer Support Service

Call 01773 734989
[email protected]


Call free on 116 123 24hr/7 days a week service or
email [email protected] (response time 24 hours) or

Talking Mental Health Derbyshire  Tel: 0300 123 0542

Everyturn Healthcare  Tel: 0300 555 5582

Vitaminds  Tel: 0333 0153 496

Trent PTS  01332 265 659

If you, or someone you know, is having a mental health crisis please see the advice below given by Derbyshire County Council:

If you or someone you know is feeling suicidal there are people you can talk to:

  • Speak to a friend, family member or someone you trust
  • Call the Derbyshire Mental Health Support Line on 0800 028 0077 (7 days a week, 9am to midnight).
  • Call the free Samaritans 24-hour support service on telephone 116 123 or contact Samaritans online
  • Use the Staying Safe website for support, information and making your own safety plan
  • Contact NHS 111, though be aware of delays in accessing this service
  • Make an urgent appointment to see your GP, who may be operating a call back service
  • Ring 999
  • If you require urgent medical intervention go to your nearest emergency department, though be aware that there are increased demands on and transmission risks in emergency departments at this time.